Monday, August 07, 2006

Beginnings

I've noticed lately that my original blog has a plethora of posts that are very Chicago-centric, so I figured hey, blogs are free, why not dedicate one entirely to my adventures in Chicago?

I'll definitely be posting pictures of things I happen upon in this great city, so it's not just going to be a blog of ramblings of a maniac. All I know is that in a few weeks I'll be fulfilling a lifelong dream of living in Chicago, and I just need to document it.

Just to answer a few questions before they're even asked:

Sox or Cubs?

Oh, come on, everybody knows the answer is Cubs.

Is it anything like New York?

Well, it's a big city. That's about it. It doesn't have the pushiness, the pollution, or the urine scent that New York has.

White Hen Pantry or Walgreen's?

Walgreen's.

And of course, ways to tell that you're from Chicago or the surrounding area -- you can identify what is/was being advertised with the following lines:
- "I've got something for yoooooooooooooooou!"
- "...at York and Roosevelt Roads....where you always save more money."
- "Better carpeting for less, call NAtional 2-9000 NAtional 2-9 [sound of phone ringing] thousand!"
- "Rock-a-bye your bay-beeeeeeeeeeee! Hi, I'm _____ _________, your singing Ford dealer!" (those of you who are reading this but aren't natives of Chicagoland -- I am not making this up!)
- "We're a part of Chicago, Chicago's channel _."

I'll end this post by saying best of luck to those victims of last summer's countrywide takeover of oldies stations by a certain corporate name that's a slang term for masturbation. You guys deserve so much better. It's bad enough that they stuck you in cyberspace for a year, but then they had to flat-out fire you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home